This tutorial article quickly details how to enable and use Paste Options Buttons in Microsoft Word.
We recently covered a cool Google Docs trick about using Paste Style. But you can also make use of this process in Microsoft Word, as well. The process differs, so keep reading for a quick tutorial on how to save time with Paste Style.
First, Let’s Turn on the Paste Options Button
You can’t perform an action if the environment doesn’t allow that action to be performed.
Follow these quick steps to enable the Paste Options button which you can also see in the above video. These steps work in Microsoft Word 2010 or later.
- Step 1: Click File > Options > Advanced
- Step 2: Scroll to the Cut, copy, and paste section
- Step 3: Click on the “Show Paste Options button when content is pasted” checkbox
- Step 4: Click “OK”
Boom, you’ve enabled the Paste Options Button with Purple Planet royalty free tunes.
Maintaining Formatting Using Paste Options
This is where we’ll show you how to perform the same steps as in our Google Docs tutorial.
You can easily add the formatting of one text selection to another to save time. The Paste Style option involves the following steps:
- Step 1: Copy the text you want with ctrl+c
- Step 2: Paste the selected text with ctrl+v
- Step 3: After you paste the selected text, click on the Paste Options button
- Step 4: Pick which paste option best suits your needs:
– use “Match Destination Formatting” to preserve any formatting on the text
– use “Keep Text Only” to remove any formatting on the selected text
Selecting the “Keep Text Only” option no longer eliminates formatting such as bullets from a bulleted list. Thanks Microsoft!
There is More to Learn
We only showcased two elements of Paste Style in Microsoft Word here. But you can learn other nifty shortcuts, too, such as:
- Preserving original formatting
- Maintaining multiple style options when pasting
- Pasting things in a bulleted or similar list
- Setting defaults in Word for pasting text
Read all about on the incredibly thorough official Office tutorial.