On Saturday, a leak of Apple’s latest mobile operating system circulated online and allegedly confirmed iPhone X as the name of the company’s upcoming flagship smartphone.
Months of speculation is now leading to an end as Apple will finally unveil their anniversary devices tomorrow, September 12. The launch of the newest iPhone(s) will take place at the Steve Jobs Theater at Apple’s new “spaceship” campus in Silicon Valley.
What’s more interesting is that news suddenly emerged that the new premium phone will be labeled as the iPhone X.#LatestLeak confirms iPhone X as the name of the upcoming premium Apple iPhone!Click To Tweet
Tech website 9to5Mac on Saturday reported that Apple’s three latest smartphones would be called iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X. Apparently, the confirmation came after the app and game developer Steven Troughton-Smith discovered the names in the software and tweeted about it.
…and we now have the name of all three new iPhones. Are you ready for this?
— Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith) September 9, 2017
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X pic.twitter.com/OVLfhLxTdT
— Steve T-S (@stroughtonsmith) September 9, 2017
While the said names are still subject to changes as far as Apple is concerned, experts believe that the leak was by far the best indicator that we had about the new phones.
The question now is, will iPhone X be able to rekindle that magic that made the iPhone a household name around the world?
iPhone X: What to Expect From Apple’s New Smartphone
For the past months, several iPhone leaks made headlines online. While many people were skeptical, others were convinced about the future specifications of the oncoming iPhones. Fanatics of the smartphone brand were also confident that the new iPhone(s) would keep Apple on top of the competition.
Let us take a recap of the leaks that helped set the hype for the much-awaited gadget.
On July, Bloomberg’s Apple insider, Mark Gurman, and KGI Securities, Ming-Chi Kuo exposed the new features for the then iPhone 7S, 7S Plus, and the iPhone 8. Here are some of the features on their list:
- Apple will launch three iPhones this year. The 4.7″ iPhone 7S and 5.5″ iPhone 7S Plus with LCD display and the 5.8″ iPhone 8 with an OLED display.
- The 8 will not support the Touch ID due to its full-screen design not supporting the capacitive fingerprint recognition.
- iPhone 7S and 7S Plus will retain Touch ID but is expected not to have facial recognition.
- iPhone 7S, iPhone 7S Plus, and the 8 will only be available in 64GB and 256GB storage options.
- The 8 will allow login, payment authentications, and secure apps launching through advanced facial recognition technology.
- The 8 has an ‘Apple Neural Engine’ which handles both ProMotion and various “artificial intelligence tasks.”
- iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus will move to glass chassis with metal frames to accommodate WPC-standard Qi wireless charging.
Two weeks after releasing the said leak, another one was again released, to the dismay of Apple CEO Tim Cook and the delight of Apple fans who were hungry for information. The second one, however, gave people a glimpse of what the Apple iPhone 8, or Apple iPhone X, would look like.
The leaked design was reportedly taken from a supply chain CAD files obtained by George Kelly, a freelance technology journalist, and case designer Nodus. The renders from the design included the following:
- The iPhone 8 will have a 5.8-inch display screen and a ‘visible cut out’ at the top where the front facing camera and ‘sensor’ are supposed to be located.
- A Function Area for iOS 11.
- Dual, vertically aligned rear camera for better Augmented Reality experiences.
- All three phones will not have the 3.5mm headphone jack.
- Apple 8’s (Apple X’s) have a huge Home button.
- It will be bezel-less.
Currently, reports also claim that the premium smartphone iPhone X will be priced as high as $1,400 USD. Rob Enderle, an analyst at Enderle Group, was quoted as saying:
“It will have to be magical. Even if you can’t afford it, this has to be the one you lust after.”
iPhone X to Face Tight Competition
A few hours from now, Apple’s alleged 10th-anniversary phones will officially be revealed. The unveiling will come weeks after the launch of the Essential Smartphone and 3 days shy of the Samsung’s Galaxy Note 8 release on September 15.
Not to mention other powerful Android mobile devices released during the 2nd quarter of the year such as Samsung’s Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. iPhone X would also face other Android smartphones that are yet to be released like the Google Pixel 2 and Pixel XL2 and Huawei Mate 10.
It is indeed an Android dominated market that iPhone X has to face. But, if all the leaked features were correct, in addition to the unknown features that everyone is eagerly waiting for, iPhone X would be magical enough to dominate the smartphone market once again!