A new round of Pixel leaks is circulating online, less than a week before the highly anticipated release of the ‘Pixel 2’ and ‘Pixel 2 XL’!
If you’re an avid Google smartphone fan, you’re probably dying in anticipation of the ‘Pixel 2‘ and ‘Pixel 2 XL’ release. For months, the Internet has been abuzz with Pixel leaks that only aid in igniting the interest of the public–but very little has come from Google itself.
Just a few days away from the much awaited October 4 release date, another set of Pixel leaks circulated online. This time, more detailed specifications from an alleged reliable source gave us a ‘real’ glimpse of the upcoming Pixel smartphones.
Are you ready?Latest #Pixel leaks are making waves online, few days before the unveiling!Click To Tweet
The Latest Pixel Leaks
Android Central was able to get information on the Pixel and Pixel 2 XL specifications from an ‘exclusive source’ that they later on verified independently using internal documents. Whether legit or not, these Pixel leaks immediately set the Internet abuzz.
Interesting new series of leaks point to:
Pixel 2 XL
which would compete directly with
iPhone 8 pic.twitter.com/2uhb9FKHuT
— Marques Brownlee (@MKBHD) September 28, 2017
Before we jump to the latest leaks, here’s a list of what we know so far about the latest Pixel smartphones.
- A quad-HD (QHD) 1440p display on the Pixel 2 XL
- A full-HD (FHD) 1080p display on the Pixel 2
- Both will run on the powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor
- Both will have water resistance up to IP67, similar to the iPhone 8
- No 3.5mm headphone jacks
- Dual speakers on both phones
- Both will feature an “active edge” that lets you squeeze the devices to pull up certain apps
- Both phones will come with 64GB and 128GB storage options
Now let’s compare the data gathered from the most recent Pixel leaks online.
Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL Alleged Specifications
According to reports, both the Pixel smartphones would be sporting the Qualcomm 835 Snapdragon chip, despite rumors that the famous chip maker would be releasing an upgraded Qualcomm 836 Snapdragon chip soon.
The Pixel leaks also indicated that Google would go for a minimum of 64 GB and maximum of 128 GB storage for both phones. As with other existing smartphones today, the Pixel 2 XL would get an exclusive bezel-less design.
Both the soon-to-be-released Pixels will have the dual front-facing stereo speakers. A feature made popular by Google’s previous Nexus line. And, despite gaining disapproval from many smartphone users, the upcoming flagship phones of Google will not also have headphone jacks.
Sorry, guys! NO HEAD PHONE JACKS.
If true, this would be an interesting move for Google after they famously mocked Apple last year for removing iPhone’s headphone jack. However, it should be noted that this could be another wise decision for the company as they prepare to integrate their voice-operated virtual assistant, Google Assistant, to their premium phones.
Another feature that we should all watch out for is the ‘Pixel Cameras.’ An optical image stabilization (OIS) feature loaded to both the front and back cameras of the Pixels for capturing superiors quality pictures. Leaks suggested that this feature, which was not present on the previous Pixel, would include Google’s very own Imaging Chip.
Android Authority also said that the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL would only include the USB-C port, probably for the USB-C earphones. Unfortunately, it was said that not all regions where the Pixels will be shipped would receive the USB-C earphones in the box.
Aside from that, the new Pixels were supposed to be equipped with Active Edge, squeezable sides that could launch Google Assistant or mute alarms and incoming calls. Other notable features included on the latest Pixel leaks include:
- Upgraded OLED display that will allow Pixel 2 XL to support the Wide Color Gamut
- IP67 Certification which means both phones will be water and dust resistant
- E-Sim Slot which can be switched from network to network. This feature is already available on Apple Watch Series 3.
- New Fingerprint readers that will be located at the back of the phones.
- Gorilla Glass 5 will also grace the Pixels’ screens.
- Unlimited Google Drive space! If true, this would be a major selling point for both smartphones. Reports claimed that customers who will purchase the Pixels would have unlimited Google drive storage for five years on all file types!
Pixel Ultra, the Anti-iPhone X
The Pixel 2 and 2 XL leaks seem pretty accurate, but there is one bit of quasi-leaked information that hints at something bigger–WAY bigger.
As you’ll see in the video above, there’s a photo taken in what is allegedly a Google development office. In that photo is bezel-less large Pixel with the words “Ultra Pixel” next to it.
The person who leaked this photo also shared a little extra information: the Pixel Ultra will be controlled by gestures. That’s right, no more home, back, and options controls. What’s more, the fingerprint scanner may be integrated directly into the display.
You’ll have to check back on October 4th to find out for sure.